At Benjamin Franklin Plumbing safety is very important to us, so we would like to share with you some tips to keep safe during trick or treating this year!
1. Instead of masks choose face paint. Unlike a mask it won’t obstruct your child’s view when trying to cross the street. Just remember to test a small amount on your child first to make sure they don’t have an allergic reaction.
2. Want to make a difference this Halloween? Trick or Treat for UNICEF USA! Trick or Treat for UNICEF started in 1950 and since then has raised $175 million for the USA. For more information about how to get started this season go to https://www.unicefusa.org/trick-or-treat. They have tons of resources to help you get started!
3. Decorate costumes and bags with reflective tape or stickers. If possible wear light colored clothing.
4. Put down electronic devices, keep your heads up! Always be aware of your surroundings.
5. Make sure your children make eye contact with drivers before crossing in front of cars.
6. Make sure costumes fit right. If too long hem them prevent tripping. Don’t sew? Try safety pins or duck tape!
7. Plan your route before you go. Try to avoid a route that crosses busy streets, or neighborhoods with no sidewalks. If there is no path to walk on, face traffic and stay as far left as possible.
8. If driving, go slow! Add heavy pedestrian traffic into your drive time. And remember that children are highly unpredictable during trick or treating, don’t be driving distracted.
9. If driving, enter and exit driveways and alleys slowly and cautiously.
10. Make sure your flashlights have fresh batteries.
11. Have a good meal before trick or treating. Then maybe your kids won’t fill up on candy later! Although treat tampering is VERY rare it is still a good idea to check treat bags.
Stay safe, Happy Halloween from Benjamin Franklin Plumbing of Northfield!