Winter is here. Make sure your plumbing systems are not only prepared for the cold weather, but also for the influx of family guests this month.
With the holidays coming down the pipe soon (pun intended), families and friends will be traveling from around the country to share meals together. As you’re cooking and disposing of leftovers, Benjamin Franklin Plumbing of Northfield encourages you to be mindful of what you’re throwing down the garbage disposal. Surprisingly, many typical holiday dish remnants including cooking oil, grease, bones, veggies, pasta, coffee grounds, and fruit pits can hamper a disposal and back up a drain.
Additionally, as a host for holiday celebrations, it’s important to be aware of what guests are flushing down the toilet especially if you have an older or weaker plumbing system. Let them know what your toilet is capable of handling. Some of the most common items that should never be flushed include cigarette butts, sanitary napkins, baby wipes, cotton swabs, and facial tissues.
- Did you know that starchy or stringy veggies should NOT go down the garbage disposal?
- Pasta or rice can expand with water and clog up your garbage disposal. It is best to throw it in the trash.
- Some toilets aren’t even made to handle facial tissue. Keep it to regular, ol’ TP.
- Bathrooms can get a lot of extra use. Try and wait 10 minutes between showers and consider a tankless water heater to have hot water on demand when you need it. Remind guests not to flush paper towels or large, bulky items down the drain.
- Never pour cooking oil or fats down your drain. Oil can solidify and clog your line. Pour oil and fat into a container or jar and then throw it in the trash.
- Use your garbage can instead of your disposal to get rid of drippings and leftovers. Fats, bones, and fibrous foods can clog and damage your drain or disposal.
- Have your kitchen drain line and plumbing lines maintained by a professional plumber regularly to prevent problems during heavy usage.
And don’t forget, we offer 24 hour emergency service. If you run into plumbing trouble during the holiday season, Benjamin Franklin Plumbing of Northfield is always here to help. 507-645-4037